Enrolling at TAFE Western
The NSW Government reform 'Smart and Skilled' will change the way courses are funded from 1 January 2015 and will subsidise eligible students to study courses on the NSW Skills List.
To enrol in a TAFE course you will need to:
- Get your unique student number - a USI. You can register for your USI here. We can help you do that!
- See if you are eligible for a NSW Government funded course. You could be if:
- you are older than 15
- live and work in NSW
- are an Australian citizen, permanent resident, humanitarian visa holder, or New Zealand citizen
- Don't have a qualification higher than a Certificate III, or, if you do, you want to try out an apprenticeship or traineeship.
Regardless of your Smart and Skilled eligibility, we can help you choose to train with TAFE NSW and find a course for you.
- See if your skills and experience can help you get Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
- Use the student fee calculator available on the Smart and Skilled website to provide a quote for the qualification. We can help you do that too!
Enrolments for 2015 are open. Enrol now to not miss out on your place.
Is there anything else I need to know?
- Choose your course for the job you want to do. More details and full Course Descriptions can be found using the course search or choose from our range of courses; Apprenticeships, Traineeships, Foundation Skills, Entitlement Program and Targeted Priorities.
- Not sure what you want to do. Arrange an appointment with the Careers Advisor at your local campus. It's FREE
- Attend relevant course information sessions or interviews.
Check you meet the course entry requirements
- Entry requirements are the minimum qualifications, knowledge, skills, experience. These are listed on each Course Information page.
- If you do not meet the entry requirements you may be eligible for other courses in this area.
Check that the course study options and locations suit your needs and make sure you are aware of the course fees, related charges and payment options
- Attendance/study options and location details are included on each Course Information page
- When you enrol in a TAFE course you will have to pay the Fee (there may be additional course related charges)
- Find out about your payment options - instalment plan, VET FEE-HELP, concessions, and exemptions.
You can enrol at your local college, online or call us and we can help you through the process.
Get your previous learning and experience recognised
At TAFE Western we recognise that you may have skills and knowledge gained through work, life experiences and previous learning which are relevant to your course. We offer Recognition for Prior Leaning (RPL) which may reduce the amount of TAFE study required to obtain a qualification. You can find out more by talking to the teacher/s offering the course that interests you. Contact details for teachers are available in the "locations" section of each Course Description.
Temporary Visa Holders
If you are not an Australian citizen or an Australian permanent resident, you may still be eligible to study in TAFE NSW provided you hold a visa class or sub class, which does not exclude you from studying in Australia, and subject to places being available and individual course entry requirements being met.
You can see the TAFE NSW website to find out more about Temporary Visa Holders' entitlement to study. This site also has details about the NSW Temporary Visa Holders Policy and a schedule of permanent and temporary visas with information about which visa sub-classes are subject to fees.
For further information
Webchat or call us on 1300 823 393. We can answer your questions and help you through the process.